Thursday, December 9, 2010

Pursuit of Happiness

I had a small personal debate about the topic I wanted to explore for the final paper and ended up choosing the psychoanalysis of Henderson, however, I loved Henderson's theory of becoming vs. being and thought I would touch on the subject just a bit.

I cannot help but assume that a lot of people, Americans in particular, suffer from Hendersonism.  Yes, that is a clinically classified disorder as per the Psychological DSM-IV, thank you very much! We are always thinking about something that is wanted or even not wanted.  "I want...I  want...I want...", it is so repetitive and has seemed to get consistently more redundant as we have read The Rain King and have gotten to experience the presentations of my classmates.  "What do you want for dinner?", "What do you want for Christmas?", "What do you want to do with a Psychology major??", It seems everything we do is to get some kind of satisfaction later.  It seems everything we do is to satisfy someONE else later.  There are always motivations for our wanting actions, and some of them seem necessary and very relevant.  For example, with the end of the semester coming to a close and all..."I want to stay up for an unruly amount of hours writing papers and cramming for finals because someday I want to have a successful career." Is it worth it? Why do we push ourselves to unhealthy limits because we think, sorry, correction, we know that someday it will all pay off? Someday we will look back on our experience and know the all of the crushing hours of studying and thousands of dollars paid to the university will eventually lead to our success and ultimate happiness.  Yes, I believe we have all experienced a bit of Hendersonism.  We have all experienced becoming. Working towards that goal.  Striving for it. Wanting it. Want want wanting it.
I began writing this as a contemplation just of being and becoming, however, in the process I have been reminded of how I have fallen completely victim of Hendersonism.  I haven't slowed down for even a second this semester to decide what is really important and how to flow with life, breathing, living, accepting, and enjoying.  So in light of the holiday season, a time for friends, family, and festivities, I would like to send out another little reminder to myself and to all of you to slow down.  Take some time out for yourself.  Observe your surroundings. Breathe. Meditate. Write. Read. Create. Cherish your friends. Cherish your family. Quit wanting. Just be.

As a close, I came across this quote I found to be quite applicable: 

for a long time it seemed that life was about to begin but there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life. this has helped me to see there is no way TO happiness. happiness IS the way. treasure every moment. time waits for no one. happiness is a journey, not a destination...

No comments:

Post a Comment