Sunday, December 5, 2010

Its all cyclical

Mythologies. Ah. It really is all around us. I actually cannot even imagine how I never before made the connections but am so grateful for the eye opening experience this semester has brought to me. In the beginning, I was quite unsure about how I would tackle the variety of classes I had signed up for. They were all so different and ranged from a 100 level human development class and 200 level technology class to a 400 level field practicum. I was looking forward to the random assortment of courses but was also questioning how I would relate them in a way to stay focused and maintain cohesion throughout the long days. I began by overly taking notes and squeezing little memos into my agenda to help remind me of all the assignments and tasks, thoroughly and quite efficiently becoming overwhelmed as I worked to keep up with my case load. However, the familiarity eventually took over and I was able to pace myself through the day. Throughout the semester, Professor Sexson kept commenting on daily occurances that were undeniably "profoundly mythological" and how every story is within another story.

In my human development class we have cycled through conception to childhood, adolescence to adulthood and are finishing up the semester with old age and death. Interestingly enough, people fear death the most in adulthood because they have overcome their feelings of being invincible while still experiencing a sense that their life is not complete and there is still more to accomplish. However, by the time most people reach an old age and look back on their endeavors, they feel satisfied and are comfortable and almost a relief about leaving the mortal world because they have contributed to their world. It seems as if each semester we endure the same kinds of emotions. I felt invincible in September, like the work and stress load could not weigh me down and I would be able to conquer everything with flying colors. However, as the semester wore on, I lost that sense of complete control and esentially reached "adulthood", with my mortality becoming salient and the realities that this school semester is my life and it in part determines my career and the rest of my life. Thank god, though, the end is near and I am already feeling the sense of relief that accompanies my "old age". We have all put in our time and (hopefully!) feel accomplished. I am ready for the rejuvination of a new beginning: holiday break, whoop whoop! But I am also more aware that when the holidays are over, I will feel relieved again. So onward we must push, towards a new day and a new beginning, ever searching but ever enjoying the simplicities of life and acknowledging the origin, the muddle, the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment